Major Happy's Up And Coming Once Upon A Good Time Band is a opening song on the album Sgt. Rutter's only Darts Club Band. It was reprised later in the album.
The song introduces the fictional band Major Happy's Up-And-Coming Once Upon a Good Time Band (also refered to as Major Happy's Up-And-Coming Easy Going Good Time Band), who perform the songs on the album. The reason why the band in the album's title is never mentioned is unknown.
The song can basically be split into 6 parts and it goes like this:
- Introduction (instrumental)
- Bridge (instrumental)
- Transition into Rendezvous
The song's reprise is basically just the first song, but sped-up. Literally. No lyrics were changed between the two versions and the transition into Rendezvous is left in, although the crowd sounds make it a little hard to hear.
Covers, Uses and Other VersionsEdit
- ZZ Top covered the song for their film Sgt. Rutter's Only Darts Club Band, along with a couple of other songs.
- Parts of Major Happy was used in Lunch, along with the reprise.
- The song was used in Yellow Submarine Sandwich and it was rereleased on both albums.
- Rutallica recorded a thrash parody of the song titled Major Hetfield's Motorbreath Once Upon A Drunk Time Band on their first album, Sgt. Hetfield's Motor Darts Pub Band.
- An earlier take of Major Happy is avalible through bootlegs. The most notable change is the longer transition.